Jess W. Ullom
Jess Ullom is a member of Doster, Ullom & Boyle, LLC. Jess was raised in Pittsburgh, PA and graduated from St. Louis University Law School in 1973. Since that time he has been in private practice, representing individuals and businesses, primarily on litigation matters. He taught high school geometry and calculus for four years, three of which while he attended law school.
Jess has tried hundreds of civil and criminal cases, including over 50 jury trials. Cases in the civil area have ranged from standard breach of contract claims to complex business litigation and medical malpractice. Jess has extensive appellate experience at every level of the state and federal court system, including the United States Supreme Court. Jess obtained a landmark jury verdict and an appellate decision in a civil rights suit, three other appellate decisions that set new precedents in the law, and many favorable major jury verdicts.
He has also served as a municipal judge from 1979 to 2015. Since 1992 he has served as the judge of the St. Louis County Municipal Court, West Division.
He has been actively involved in the Missouri Municipal and Associate Circuit Judges Association as a director and speaker since 1989 and served as president from 1997–1998. He is a liaison member of the Missouri Supreme Court’s Committee on Criminal Procedure. He previously served on the Editorial Board for the Missouri Bench Book, a reference publication of the Missouri Supreme Court for municipal judges, for which he authored the chapter on Essential Elements in the trial of offenses.
Areas of Practice
- Appellate practice
- Civil litigation representing individuals and businesses
- Criminal Defense
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Missouri
- U.S. District Court of Appeals Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
AV® Preeminent™ Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review RatingsSM
- St. Louis University School of Law, Juris Doctorate
- Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Bachelor of Science, Mathematics
Professional Associations and Activities
- Judge, St. Louis County Municipal Court (1992-2015)
- Liaison Member, Missouri Supreme Court’s Committee on Criminal Procedure (2007–present)
- Missouri Municipal and Associate Circuit Judges Association; Executive Board (1989–Present); President (1997-1998)
- The Missouri Bar
- Missouri Association of Trial Attorneys
- Speaker, regularly, on various topics at Judicial and Legal Professional Education programs sponsored by State, Court and Professional Organizations
- Defense of manufacturer of prototype machine on claim by joint venturer for design infringement and breach of contract. Jury award for defendant manufacturer plus judge’s award of prototype to defendant’s possession.
- Prosecution of real estate developers’ claim for specific performance of $11 million contract for sale of property against defendant sellers, who claimed breach. Trial court ruling for plaintiff developers enforcing contract. Defendant appealed, Court of Appeals affirmed trial court ruling.
- Defended business and property owner on a claim by adjacent property owner for easement infringement, which would have caused loss of use on extensive portion of defendant’s property. Trial court ruled in favor of adjacent owner. Our defendant client appealed. Court of Appeals reversed trial court rulings and entered judgment for defendant property owner on all plaintiff claims.
- Prosecuted suit by commercial developer of shopping mall against city, which had threatened not to provide sewer service to development when completed. Successfully disproved city’s claim of over-capacity resulting in trial courts ruling to grant motion for summary judgment in favor of plaintiff developer and against city. Mall was completed with all municipal services provided.
- Defended city on suit by ten business owners on claim for over $500,000 in refunds of utility payments over period of 15 years. Jury awarded total of $21,000 to some of the businesses. After trial, judge increased award to approximately $250,000. City appealed trial judge’s decision to increase award. Court of Appeals reversed trial court and entered judgment on original jury verdict
The experienced and dedicated lawyers at Doster, Ullom & Boyle, LLC set high standards of excellence to help our clients achieve their business goals.
- P: 636-532-0042
- Email Jess Ullom